Tenants FAQ's

All your tenancy questions, answered


Start by filling out our Tenancy Application Form. This will supply us with the personal and employment details we need, and tell us what type of home you’re looking for.

To process your application we will also need a copy of your photo I.D. which you can email through with your application.

We will also need you to supply references from your past landlords. We recommend you have these ready in advance so your application doesn’t get held up. References are especially important in today’s competitive market. If you have great references to share with us, this can often make the difference in securing the property you want.

Generally you will need to pay one week’s rent plus GST, payable as a “letting fee”. You will also be required to pay a minimum of one week’s rent in advance, plus three weeks’ rent as Bond. These generally need to be paid in full prior to you moving into the property.

You only need to pay GST on the letting fee, not on your rent or bond.

We are proud to offer a wide range of high quality properties in desirable neighbourhoods. You can view our available rental properties here.

A Tenancy Agreement confirms information about the property, tenant details, the terms of the tenancy, the frequency and amount of rent payable, and how the rent shall be paid. It also includes the legal terms under which you are agreeing to rent the property.

You will need to sign a Tenancy Agreement within 24 hours of being accepted for a tenancy.

Please read your Tenancy Agreement carefully and keep the copy which is provided to you.

If your application to rent a property is declined, either the property was rented to someone else or you did not meet the criteria set out by the owner.


If you miss a rent payment, you must call your property manager immediately. They will work with you to try to remedy the issue. Please be aware that any missed payment is a breach of your Tenancy Agreement and your tenancy may be terminated. Furthermore, debt collection enforcement may affect your ability to rent properties in the future.

In a Periodic Tenancy there is no fixed termination date. The agreement simply runs on until you or your landlord give lawful notice to terminate.

In contrast, a Fixed Term tenancy is for a specified length of time, for example, one year. The start date and end date will both be noted on the Tenancy Agreement.

If you breach your agreement your landlord is required to send you a ’10 day Notice to Remedy’. If you fail to remedy the breach within the required timeframe, your property manager may apply to the Tenancy Tribunal to terminate your tenancy.

Periodic Tenancies (no fixed term)
For Periodic Tenancies you need to give at least 21 days’ notice in writing, effective from the date your agent receives your notice.

Fixed Term Tenancies (for a fixed period)
If you need to move out before the end date specified in your Tenancy Agreement the first thing you need to do is contact your agent. If the property can be rented on the same terms and conditions to someone else, you may be allowed to cease your tenancy agreement. Generally, tenants are released from their Fixed Term tenancies only after a suitable replacement tenant has been found.

To get your full bond back you must leave the property in a clean and tidy condition as set out in your Tenancy Agreement. This generally means no rubbish lying around, neat lawns and gardens, clean interior and commercially cleaned carpets. You also need to make sure there is no overdue rent, water or other debts owing from your tenancy.

Soon after you have vacated the property and returned your keys, your property manager will carry out a bond inspection. If the inspection is satisfactory, they will apply for a Bond Refund from the Tenancy Services.

If there is any outstanding damage which is considered to be your responsibility, an application may be made to the Tenancy Tribunal to request that part or all of your bond goes to the landlord to cover any damages.

The only people who can legally occupy the property you’re renting are those named or allowed for as flatmates in your Tenancy Agreement.

You may not sub-let the premises without written consent from the owner.

If you want to leave and have found someone else who wishes to stay in the property, new application forms and a new Tenancy Agreement will be required, and a letting fee may be charged.

Start by contacting your property manager. They may be able to negotiate with the owner to have an extra resident allowed. This may mean a slight increase in rent to account increased wear and tear or an increase in water charges.

Please be aware that if you have not gained explicit permission, anyone moving in beyond the agreed number in your Tenancy Agreement is a breach of the agreement and may result in termination.


You need to open doors and windows regularly to ensure air flow and reduce mould and moisture. Watch that they don’t swing in the wind—if they’re damaged, you may be responsible for getting them fixed.

If you have scuff marks, scratches or stubborn stains on walls, doors or other surfaces we recommend trying to get them out with a specialist spot remover product found at your local supermarket or hardware store.

Contact your property manager straight away, especially if its an urgent issue.

They’ll advise you on whether the problem needs to be fixed at your cost, or whether it’s the landlord’s responsibility.

If it’s the landlords responsibility they will organise tradespeople to fix the issue on your behalf, at a time that is convenient for you.

Issues During Tenancy

You should check your fuse box on the property to make sure a fuse hasn’t blown due to a switch overloading. This can happen if too many appliances are plugged in to one socket, and if a fuse has blown then re-set the fuse. If you have the old individual  porcelain type “plug in” fuses, you should check to see if the wire needs replacing and make sure that the right ampage is used. For instructions on replacing this type of fuse, please go to How to replace a porcelain fuse.


Alternatively, if you have more modern switch fuses you should check all switches and if need be, flick the switch to re-set the fuse. If this does not work then call your power company ASAP to determine if there is a problem with power in the area. Talk to any neighbours to make sure they still have power so you can provide your property manager with all the relevant info including whether it is a problem unique to your property and exactly which power points, rooms or light fittings don’t have power. Make sure that you check that it is not an appliance that is faulty and you can do this by checking multiple power points.

Check all phone jacks and connections in the property (by plugging in a phone) to determine if it is a problem with an individual connection point or if all telecommunication services to the property have been affected. If there is no connection to the entire telecomunication network you should call your service provider to check if there are problems affecting your region. Update your property manager if it is a problem specific to your property. Internet can cease for many reasons including bad weather, accidents in your neighbourhood or bills not being paid.

If you have just moved in check that your hot water cylinder is turned on at the unit (usually next to it) and that you have power to operate the cylinder. Check the hot water switch/fuse at the switchboard to ensure that it is also turned on there. If a fuse has blown see “what happens if I have no power” and remedy this problem. Sometimes cylinders may take up to five hours to heat water but you should feel it warming within a couple of hours. Make sure that the hot water cylinder is not leaking or visibly damaged and if it is contact your property manager ASAP. If you have gas then a gas connection is required to ensure gas heating is operating. If you have a gas unit or cylinder make sure that gas is flowing and check with your supplier. Check the pilot light if you have an instantaneous hot water system. If you still can’t solve this problem contact your property manager ASAP.

The majority of blocked sinks and toilets are as a result of a blockage caused by tenants. In sinks/vanities this is often caused by fats, foods and soaps blocking the drains. You should avoid washing any fats and food waste down any drain (unless you have a WasteMaster/InSinkErator). If your WasteMaster is not working try the overload switch. Pouring boiling water or specialist “drain unblocking” products such as ‘Draino’ ( available from supermarkets and handyman stores) down wastes will often assist to disburse any blocked wastes. A plunger is a good tool to have at any property and nine times out of ten a plunger will assist to fix the blockage. Toilets are commonly blocked due to too much paper or other items being flushed down. Be careful with what you flush down your toilet and avoid flushing nappies, tampons, and pads. Again a plunger is a great tool that can often help unblock many toilet blockages. Shower wastes can also block as a result of soap suds and hair that combines to block the waste pipes. Clean your drains regularly to remove this debris. If you can’t fix a blockage then purchase a product like ‘Draino’ and follow the instructions on the bottle. Usually these products will disburse any blockage and avoid costly plumbers bills. If a plumber attends they will always try to identify the cause of any block and if foods, fats, soaps and hair etc has been identified as the cause then you may be on-charged the bill. If you have an exterior drain then you should regularly ensure that all leaves and debris are swept up to avoid any blockages. If you cannot unblock a sink, shower, toilet or drain contact your property manager who will help arrange a tradesman.

Check that you have power to the rest of the room and carefully check individual isolating switches (usually located next to the appliance or nearest power point). Also check the fuse board to make sure a fuse hasn’t blown (see above “no power or a blown fuse”) and if so reset the fuse. Sometimes on older stoves/ovens the timer function may affect the stoves ability to operate. If the timer is not set some stoves will not operate. Try re-setting the timer function.

This is often a sign that the batteries or back up batteries need replacing. You should contact your property manager immediately.

Your property manager may arrange a tradesman and provide your contact number for access. If you make an appointment with a tradesman and you don’t turn up then it is likely you will be charged the tradesman’s call out fee. Please ensure that if you arrange to meet a tradesman or tell them someone is home that you make sure you stick to the arrangement and ensure that access is granted.

Your property manager will always have a spare key to your property. You can contact them to arrange to borrow a key and cut a copy. Please note that it is a breach of the Tenancy Agreement to change the locks without the landlords approval. However, if you have to change a lock in an emergency then usually your property manager will understand if you contact them and provide new sets of keys immediately. Often multiple sets will be required so that your property manager can provide the owner with new sets.

You should update your property manager immediately. You should take steps to reduce any damage an an example of this is getting the carpets commercially cleaned ASAP. You should fix any holes in walls immediately but contact your property manager before doing any painting and redecorating of your property which is also a breach in the Tenancy Agreement.

Check the batteries and replace with news ones prior to contacting your property manager.

You should update your property manager immediately. You should take steps to reduce any damage an an example of this is getting the carpets commercially cleaned ASAP. You should fix any holes in walls immediately but contact your property manager before doing any painting and redecorating of your property which is also a breach in the Tenancy Agreement.

Check that it is not obstructed (turn off power switch prior to putting hands/fingers down). Also check the safety re-set switch usually located at the base. Blockages in kitchen waste disposal units can be easily avoided:


• Use plenty of cold water when flushing through food scraps, and run it for a little longer after the scraps have disappeared.

• Only grind food scraps, however there are a few exceptions: don’t grind extremely fibrous food scraps like corn husks, celery stalks and onion skins as these can tangle and jam the garbage disposal motor as well as block the drain; uncooked meat can also get stuck and cause unpleasant odours; foods such as rice, pasta, potato peels and coffee grinds can also clog the drain.

• Don’t pour oil or fat into the disposal unit as this can accumulate over time and block the drain.

• To clean the unit, grind some ice cubes and salt a couple of times a month – it will be a bit noisy but will clean all those hard to reach places.

• Pop some lemon peel through occasionally to keep it smelling fresh.

• For strong odours and slow running drains, sprinkle half a cup of baking soda down the drain, then pour in a cup of white vinegar (it will fizz).


Let it sit for a few minutes, then run the disposal unit with hot water.

If the leak is from a toilet cistern you may be able to turn the inlet valve off.  For other leaks turn the water mains off ASAP at the meter if you need to temporarily stop the water flow. Contact your property manager ASAP.

You should spray infected areas with an appropriate spray. Vacuum regularly and re-apply the spray if required. If problems persist contact your property manager.


Your Tenancy Agreement outlines the main points regarding your tenancy, but you also have additional obligations under the Residential Tenancies Act.


You must take reasonable care of the property, keep it clean and tidy, especially when you vacate. You must take steps to ensure that no damage to the property is made by your or visitors. We recommend that you watch our Tenant Introduction Video and download ourTenants Handbook for further information.


Some Tenancy Agreements have special clauses in them which you need to abide by (for example, no pets allowed, the tenant shall maintain the lawns and gardens). Please consult your agreement for confirmation or contact your property manager if you need clarification on what you need to do.

Landlords and their agents are required to give you 48 hours notice of their intention to enter the property or 24 hours for maintenance.. For most general maintenance inspections (generally six monthly or yearly) your property manager will usually give you at least a weeks notice.


The only exception to this is when the property is for rent or on the market, and in these circumstances you must be given reasonable notice at all times. You are not required to be present during inspections as your property manager will have a key.


For more information on renting and general tenancy advice visit Tenancy Services website.

Other Questions

If you have a Periodic Tenancy (no fixed term) the landlord must give you 42 days notice in writing, to vacate.


If you have a Fixed Term tenancy the landlord can not issue notice to terminate your tenancy. They may sell the property subject to your existing tenancy. That means that you can stay in the property, while the owner may change. Agreements can be terminated or changed upon agreement of both parties.


When selling, the landlord must advise you in writing that the property is on the market. When the property is on the market, you must be given reasonable notice for buyers to inspect. As the tenant you are also obliged to provide reasonable access for those inspections.

In the first instance, try to discuss the matter thoroughly to see each party’s point of view. Talk to your property manager about your concerns. If you are unable to reach a resolution on an important matter, you can contact Tenancy Services for advice and arrange for a mediated meeting.


This is known as Mediation and is available at either party’s request.

If you want your possessions insured against theft or damage then YES all tenants should arrange their own insurance cover. If you have personal insurance this will generally also cover a “liability” insurance which will protect you if you in case by accident you have a fire and cause damage. The owner of the property should have insurance for the actual property but this will be limited and will not generally cover tenants liability or possessions. There are various insurance companies you can contact for quotes and you should ensure that you get the right advice and policy to meet your requirements.

Your Tenancy Agreement usually prohibits any pets without the written consent of the landlord. Contact your property manager for authorisation prior to acquiring any pets as this may be a breach in your Tenancy Agreement.